TIEMKENFA Francis Osvwo, one of the suspects apprehended after the October 1st 2010 bombing in Abuja, died on Saturday in the custody of the Nigerian State.
According to the deceased’s lawyer, Festus Keyamo, the suspect’s death followed complaints of poor treatment of the detained suspect.
Osvwo, who goes by the nickname General Gbokos, reportedly took ill after the cell in which he was detained alongside fellow suspects was allegedly fumigated on January 8 this year.
“The sickness leading to the death of Tiemkenfa Francis Osvwo started when their cell was fumigated with a strange substance on the January 8, 2012, which affected the health of all the four suspects. Suffice it to reiterate that we, their solicitors raised the alarm about that development at the time.
“Prior to his death in custody, Gbokos had been urinating and defecating on himself in the prison and despite pleas by his solicitors requesting that he be treated properly, no one attended to him.
“On February 21, 2012, Osvwo collapsed in court which stalled hearing for that day but despite the order of the court that Osvwo should be medically attended to by the prisons authorities, no medication was administered on him. It was obvious therefore that the authorities wanted him dead,” Keyamo’s statement read.
Comparing the plight of his clients with that of suspects linked to Boko Haram bombings, some of whom are on bail, Keyamo said it was unfair that his clients were being maltreated in prison, when they were still supposed to be presumed innocent according to the law.
“At this juncture, we are constrained to state that we find it extremely inequitable that virtually all the suspects linked to the Boko Haram bombings have been enjoying bail while our clients, the alleged masterminds of the October 1, 2010 bombings (still presumed innocent) continue to suffer indignities in custody.
“We therefore, respectfully, call on all well-meaning Nigerians to join in the call for their bail and the Nigerian government to facilitate the release of the other suspects in custody with a view to attending to their deteriorating health before they die in custody,” the lawyer said.
According to Keyamo, other accused persons in the October 1, 2010 bombing still in Kuje Prisons are facing similar conditions that claimed Osvwo’s life.