A FIRE incident at the National Assembly Complex in Abuja caused anxiety for staffers and other people present in the building on Thursday afternoon, even as officials said that there was no major damage to the building.
Service personnel from the Fire Service of the Federal Capital Territory were called to the scene as panicked workers gathered some distance away from the building. The firemen, who arrived the scene with two of their engines, successfully contained the fire.
Talking to the press after the incident, Abuja Fire Service Director, Mr. Sani Sadu, said that a power issue in the complex caused the fire, and assured the public that the fire was under control.
According to him, the fire “was caused by electrical fault as a result of power fluctuation. It was brought under control. No damage was done.’’
It is the second time in the last year that the same wing of the National Assembly will experience a fire outbreak. As with the latest one, the last fire outbreak was blamed on an electrical fault.
Members of the National Assembly are currently on break.